Sunday, March 23, 2014

West Elm Hack: DIY VELVET STUDDED PILLOW


DIY VELVET STUDDED PILLOW- WEST ELM HACK
After finishing my wingback chair, I was a little torn up about the color of the legs. I felt like they didn't go well together, but I was determined to make it work. So I started searching around for pillows and when I found this velvet studded pillow at West Elm, I knew it was perfect. Although, at $40 for the pillow cover + another $10 for the pillow insert, it just wasn't going to happen. Also, they didn't have a black one, so I looked around on the internet for other studded pillows but I wasn't satisfied, so I decided to create my own. So here is your West Elm Studded Pillow HACK.


DIY VELVET STUDDED PILLOW
Supplies:
-1.5 yds. Premium Micro Velvet             $14         (I felt at least 10 types and this was the softest)
-20 inch zipper                                       $3
-100 Studs                                             $6           (with 50% off coupon)
- 20 inch Pillow Insert                             $2           (I bought a cheap pillow and made my own)
-Sewing Machine
-Scissors
-Thread
Make Time: 1 hour
Cost: approx. $25! Half the cost of what I would've spent at West Elm- plus I got the color I wanted

1.       Cut Fabric into two 22in x 22in squares.
2.       Insert zipper onto one of the squares 3 inches below the top of the velvet.
3.       Pin the fabric together so that the velvet sides are facing each other.
a.       Make sure the zipper is unzipped so you can turn the fabric right side out after sewing it.
4.       Sew around the pillow, leaving a one inch gap between the edge of the fabric and the seam.
5.       If you have a surger, you can go around the outside of your pillow with that as well which will help with the integrity of the seams.
6.       Turn the pillow right side out – pulling the fabric through the zipper.
7.       Sew around the pillow again about ¾ of an inch between the edge of the fabric and the seam. This will make a space to add the studs.
a.       Make sure that you are far enough away from the zipper.
8.       Now, add the studs to you pillow about one inch apart. You should have about 20 studs per side.
9.       Insert your 20inch pillow insert and enjoy your ultra-soft velvety pillow.
I love how chic this pillow looks. I really think it is the perfect finishing touch for my wingback chair.

How did you like this project? Does it compare to the West Elm pillow? Let me know – I love hearing your comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment