Thursday, March 6, 2014

DIY SPRING TULIP WREATH



Spring is in the air and that means FLOWERS – FLOWERS EVERYWHERE – and that makes me incredibly happy. Over the past year I have been seeing amazing tulip wreaths on Etsy and to me, they are the epitome of spring. I wanted one. I had to have one... BUT they are upwards of $200. NO WAY was that going to happen on a college student’s budgets. So, like most things, I turned to DIY.

I love the way this wreath turned out. Faux flowers aren't always my favorite, but in some projects I think they simply, just work. I think this project is one of those exceptions and I am pretty happy with it, especially for the cost! 

DIY SPRING TULIP WREATH TUTORIAL:
Supplies:
-9 bunches mini tulips    $20 50% off
-12 inch wreath                 $2 thrifted
-hot glue gun                     already owned 
-glue sticks                          I had some
-ribbon                                 I had some
-wire cutters                      already owned

Make Time: 1 hour
Cost: approx. $22

 $2 Wreath from D.I. turned into..
 A perfect wreath and much cheaper than buying a new one!
1.       Take each of the flower bunches and push the leaves to the top – toward the flowers.
2.       With wire cutters, cut each of the stems so they are separated from each other.
 3.       Separate flowers into colors.
4. With hot glue gun. Individually place each stem onto the wreath, making sure there aren't any gaps where the wreath it showing.

5. You want to make sure the wreath is covered, so spread the flowers generously.

6.       Also, make sure that you alternating colors and purposefully placing them so that the colors are mixed well.

7.       When you have covered the entirety of the wreath, fill in any gaps with left over stems.
    
8.       Finish wreath with a beautiful ribbon, hang on the door or over a mirror and enjoy your beautiful wreath while celebrate spring!


How did you like this project? Does it compare to the expensive $200 wreaths? Let me know – I love hearing your comments!

4 comments:

  1. super cute! So excited about your new blog, especially the gardening tips because I could use a lot of help in that area :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I am excited about it too :) I love gardening and I can't wait until it's warm enough to start one. Although, Baltimore weather is worse than here- it seems like Madeline is enjoying it though!

      Delete
  2. Really gorgeous wreath! Now is the time of year to prune the grape vines and you can even save the $2.00 by making your own grapevine wreath out of the pruned limbs. You just soak them in water until they are more pliable and then shape into the wreath and tie or tuck ends in. Then you can decorate! You definitely have an artists touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I knew someone had to make the wreaths but who knew it was that simple! Have you tried doing it before?

      Delete